Plan Ahead: Bake the hamburger
buns ahead of time.
Cook bacon ahead of time.
1 pound hamburger, 80/15 mix,
to make 12 slider-size 2-inch
round hamburger patties
Fresh ground black pepper
3 slices bacon
2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
1½ Tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 heaping Tablespoon chili sauce
4 teaspoons sweet BBQ sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon sweet pickle juice
12 Slider Buns, 2½ inches round.
(Hamburger bun recipe
Half/Wheat, Half /White
½ cup Colby or Jack Cheese,
¼ cup arugula (optional)
1. Form the sliders into 2 inch patties. Season both sides generously with coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°. Place the bacon on a small baking sheet and bake for 10 min. Drizzle the bacon with maple syrup and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake 10 min. more. Remove the bacon to paper towels to soak up the extra grease.
3. Make the sauce: In a small bowl put the mayonnaise, chili sauce, sweet BBQ sauce, Worcestershire and sweet pickle juice. Mix. Set aside.
4. When the bacon is cool, stack them and cut into 4 equal pieces. You will have 12 small pieces of bacon. Set aside.
5. Turn the oven to broil. Place patties on a broiler pan or in a black iron skillet. Broil the sliders on the middle oven rack for 5 min., turn and place a piece of bacon on top, a teaspoon of grated cheese on top of the bacon. Broil until cooked through about another 4 min. Remove.
6. Cut the slider buns almost all the way through. Lay out on a baking sheet. Quickly run the buns under the broiler and toast until light brown.
7. Put a dab of sauce on the bottom bun and then a hamburger patty. Top with a piece of arugula and serve immediately. Serve with: Potato Chips; Warm Orzo Salad with Chicken page 259, Spinach Salad page 265. Variations: Grill the Sliders instead of broiling. Instead of making your own buns use my French Baguette page 242. Cut 2-inch rounds, 1 inch thick. Use Blue Cheese dressing on page 264 in place of the hamburger sauce or just sprinkle on dry blue cheese. Add chopped sautéed mushrooms and Gruyere cheese. Sauté some mushrooms, add a little Gruyere cheese to the mushrooms until it melts and spoon a little on each Slider. Add Grilled Onions to the Slider: Melt 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add very thin slices of 1 red onion or 1 yellow onion. Cook slowly 15 to 20 min. stirring occasionally until the onions are caramelized. Sprinkle with coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Mini Sliders for a party: Cut the hamburger bun dough 1½ inches round. Make the hamburger 1 inch round.
1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
2 Tablespoons butter
3¾ cups zucchini squash, peeled and cubed
3 cups chicken broth
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon salt
Dash cayenne pepper
½ cup Half and Half
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
1. Clean, chop and cook onion in butter until soft and transparent but not browned.
2. Wash, peel and cube zucchini into about 2 inch pieces. Combine onion, zucchini and chicken broth in large saucepan. Bring to boil, simmer 15 min. or until squash is tender. Add seasonings.
3. Using a blender or an immersion blender, puree mixture until smooth. Return to saucepan if using a blender. Add Half and Half and adjust seasoning to taste. Reheat but do not boil.
4. Serve hot, garnished with grated cheddar cheese. Serve with: French Baguettes page 242; fresh tomatoes with olive oil and capers.
Variations: Pepper Jack Cheese or Colby Jack Cheese to garnish.
3 fresh limes, juiced
4 Tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
¾ cup sugar
1 cup water
3 cups ice
Garnish with a slice of lime or
a sprig of fresh mint
In a blender mix the juice, milk, sugar and water until well blended. Blend in the ice on medium speed. Serve in small cups or glasses as desired.
Serve with: Great with any Italian dish! Great for dessert or on a summer day.
Blondy’s Strawberry Pie
1 cooled 9 inch pie crust